His Holiness conducted a puja for the "summoning of prosperity" on April 24. The ceremony continued over three days at Gyutoe Temple. Kyabje Tenga Rinpoche was also present. His Holiness and Tenga Rinpoche summoned the dralas with Drupon Rinpoche (General Secretary) Ngodup Palzom (His Holiness sister) and Drupnag. The puja concluded with auspicious ambience. - Tashi Paljor
|2007 Mind and Life Conference in Dharamsala attended by Their Holiness Dalai Lama and Gyalwang Karmapa|
His Holiness Gyalwa Karmapa attended the conference of Mind and Life, Dialogue on The Universe in a Single Atom, held at His Holiness Dalai Lama's residence. Headed by His Holiness Dalai Lama, the Dialogues were held from April 9th till April 13th, at the request of Mr. R. Adam Engle, CEO and Chairman of Mind and Life Institute, and General Coordinator of the Mind and Life Conference.
The Mind and Life Dialogues were created as an experiment to determine whether a rigorous scientific exchange could occur between modern scientists and Dalai Lama. The experiment was successful and over the ensuing decade, regular dialogues were organized among the world renowned scientists, the Dalai Lama and other contemplatives.
Currently the Mind and Life Institute is a recognized world leader in emerging scientific investigation of the effects of contemplative practices on brain, behavior, and translation of this data into effective tools to benefit people in all walks of life. Participants at this years conference included:
- Tenzin Gyatso, His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.
- Orgyen Drodul Trinley Dorje, His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa.
- Richard J. Davidson, Ph.D., Vilas Research Professor and William James Prof. of Psychology and Psychiatry, Univ of Wisconsin-Madison.
- John Dunne, Ph.D ., Assistant Professor, Dept. of Religion, Emory Univ. Co-Director of Encyclopedia of Contemplative Practices and the Emory Collaborative for Contemplative studies.
- Paul Ekman, Ph.D., Prof. of Psychology at Univ of California.
- R. Adam Engle, J.D.,MBA., CEO and Chairman of Mind Life Institute.
- Martha Farah, Ph.D., Walter H. Annenberg professor in the Natural Science, Director of the Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, Univ of Pennsylvania.
- George Greenstein, Ph.D., Sidney Dillon Prof of Astronomy, Amherst College.
- Matthieu Ricard, Ph.D., Author and Buddhist monk.
- Bennett M. Shapiro, M.D, Ex.V.P (ret.) Merck Research Lab.
- Wolf Singer, M.D., Ph.D., Dir. Max Planck Inst. For Brain Research in Frankfurt and Founding Dir. of FIAS.
- Evan Thompson, Ph.D., Prof. of Philosophy at Univ. of Toronto.
- Anton Zeilinger, Ph.D., Prof. at Physics Dept. of Vienna Univ. and at the Inst. of Quantum Optics and Quantum Information of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
- Arthur Zajonc, Ph.D., Andrew Mellon Prof. of Physics and Interdisciplinary Studies, Amherst College .
Richard Gere also attended.
His Holiness is studying "Dri Mey Nam Nyi" from Kyabje Tenga Rinpoche in Spring of 2007.
With Tenga Rinpoche in attendance, d uring his public audience on Saturday, April 7th, His Holiness gave the Four Arm Chenresig oral transmission and teachings. As previously requested by some disciples, the oral transmission of the newly composed preliminary practice of His Holiness was transmitted. The Karmapa also gave brief, simplified teachings and explanation, as well as instructions on practicing dharma and putting use of dharma into daily life. Hundreds of devotees gathered for the talk.